I enjoy watching the NFL for about three weeks, then I’m bored out of my mind.
I couldn’t care less if Brett Favre plays another year or which Manning is going to the Super Bowl. I’m tired of running backs running into the butts of their offensive lineman and quarterbacks with their special “do not hit” rules. I’ll watch the Superbowl, but believe me, I’m counting down the days until Spring Training.
There are people that complain that the baseball season is too long. These people are either communists or Pittsburgh Pirate fans. I’m all for extending the season another 30 games. I’ll gladly take 200 games of baseball over 16 weeks of football.
So here it is, the Top 22 reasons that baseball is the best sport around (in no particular order).
- The Boston Red Sox – America’s Team. Some may dispute this, but they are wrong. Boston is the model franchise in MLB – good farm system, an ownership not afraid to spend money, players that stay out of the police blotter. Always in contention. Tradition. Fenway Park. Yankee fans can suck it.
- Getting to the park early to watch batting practice.
- Manicured fields and the smell of freshly cut grass. Well, maybe not at Tropicana Field.
- Fantasy baseball is a thousand times better than fantasy anything else.
- Watching the game, eating a hotdog, drinking a cold beer.
- Very few face painters in the stands.
- If you act like a jackass after hitting a home run, you get nailed in the back your next at bat. Meanwhile, football players celebrate every tackle like they just cured cancer.
- Red Sox vs. Yankees
- Albert Pujols and Joe Mauer, two great examples of professionalism and loyalty to their teams.
- Winning the All-Star game actually means something. Why is the Pro-Bowl even televised? It blows.
- Breaking up the double play.
- Having the balls to try to steal home.
- Walk-off home runs
- I know they’re jackasses, but I really like Joe Buck and Tim McCarver calling the Fox Saturday afternoon game.
- The Rays going from worst to first in one season.
- Players not talking to the pitcher throwing a no-hitter.
- Every elite closer having their own walk-in music from the bullpen.
- You hit one of my stars, I hit one of yours.
- MLB trading deadline, the most exciting day of the year.
- Buying a new Red Sox hat every year.
- The hit-and-run
- The double switch
This list could be a thousand lines long. Baseball is awesome.
Pitcher and catchers report in 20 days!