Fantasy baseball is a fickle mistress. You spend hours researching players to draft a quality team. There are a select few elite players that you want to grab with your first round pick to form a solid base for your roster. Your pick comes, you get your guy, and BAM! he hits the disabled list with a pulled oblique flexor tendon or some other bizarre injury.
Your season is officially over, right? Wrong! Good news — having your first round pick get hurt is actually a blessing in disguise. Crazy talk, you say? Consider this: Two seasons ago, the Love Boat Captains lost her first-round pick for the year just two weeks into the season. Needless to say, she made the adjustment and won the league. Last year, the LBCs lost 4 of her first 5 picks for significant time due to injury, and we all know how that worked out for her. One more example: Two seasons ago, Dan competed his ass off after the “curse of Grady Sizemore” almost sunk his season.
The reality is that every pick is important. But it’s more important to stay up on the players in the league and make the changes necessary to make your team competitive. Losing your first pick doesn’t need to be the season-killer we all make it out to be. And anyway, is there anything more enjoyable than scouting an obscure player and having him turn into this year’s Jose Bautista?
So keep your chin up, Allan. Longoria going out may have booked you a ticket to The Foul Line playoffs.
- Rays Those Cowbells — An unstoppable force that has absolutely no chance of being defeated this year
- Yankeehaters — Soon to be 3-1
- RedRays — Showed resolve last week and pulled out a tough win
- chefdicks11 — Tough schedule to start the year. He’ll bounce back with this team
- bostobadboys — The little engine that could keeps plugging away
- Love Boat Captains — Always scary
- ToPpIn Da ChArTz — First of many wins this week. Nice job Allan!
- WILLIS Be The Year
- Sam’s Baseball Train
Sorry 8,9, and 10. My dad always told me that if didn’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.
Thanks everyone for playing. This is a league of smart players that really know baseball. It’s fun to be a part of. Let’s keep it enjoyable.
Good luck to all this week.