You know I think with baseball being on the verge of naming the 2015 All-Star teams, it seems only fitting to me that every game around the league was decided by All-Star playes putting up big point totals. Whether it was Gerrit Cole, Jose Bautista, Paul Goldschmidt, Jason Kipnis or Bryce Harper, every team that won this week was carried by great players seemingly putting up 25+ points. It seems we’ve reached that point in the season where everyone is settled in, the weather has heated up, and hitters can go on long hot streaks and pitchers can carve through mediocre lineups using their best stuff.
Hopefully this means my writing has settled in and can now perform to the best of it’s abilities. Let’s get to some rankings.
Week Thirteen Power Rankings
1) WillisBeTheYear- Faced the second highest scoring team of the week and still won. Pretty much tells you everything you need to know about this team. The clear favorite for the championship at this point.
2) sportsmanMike- Gutted out a tough win when the PSR’s weren’t in his favor. This isn’t like the teams Mike has built in the past. This years version has the talent, toughness and the staying power to compete for a championship. Has won six out seven games and continues to get stronger.
3) Yankeehaters- Completely blew out a good team in the RedRays. Dave gets the clear “manager of the week” award this week, as three guys he picked up off the waiver wire, JD Martinez, Eduardo Rodriguez and CJ Wilson, combined for over 115 points. This team appears to be finding it’s legs for a championship drive, but if I can be honest for a moment, I wasn’t that sad to see Stephen Strasburg go on the DL. Maybe that makes me a bad person, but it’s comforting to me to know that he doesn’t just hate me, but will screw over anyone. Is there any bigger talent tease in baseball? I’ll never roster that guy again.
4) RedRays- It wasn’t a great week for the RedRays. Got blown out in a big game against the Yankeehaters, and lost superstar Miguel Cabrera for six weeks. But he was really aggressive on the trade market, bringing in Prince Fielder immediately after to fill the void in a trade with Rays Those Cowbells. The next month is going to be crucial for this team. The schedule gets really tough and he’ll be without his best hitter. We’ll see what this team is made of this week.
5) Love Boat Captains- What on earth happened to Ian Desmond? It’s like he literally forgot how to play baseball. Ginger finally got fed up today, sending him off the waiver wire, and I don’t blame her one bit. It could be a rough stretch for the three-time champion, injuries are piling up and the schedule is getting tougher. But we’ve seen this movie before. She’ll come through it strong.
6) Stogies- Another week, another win. Team Stogies sends the beer division to a three-way tie at the top. The big guns in his offense led the way this week, with Andrew McCutchen, Bryce Harper and Kris Bryant all posting 25+ point totals. I still like this roster, but I think it’s pretty clear who has the golden horseshoe this year. This team just won it’s 6th game of the season scoring under 300 points. That can work for a little while, but this team will really need to improve it’s performance if it wants to hang with the standouts of the league.
7) Rays Those Cowbells- Scored 336 points, second highest total of the week, lost. Sitting at 5-8 leading my division in points scored by nearly 200 points over every other team and is currently the second highest scoring team in the league, sitting in 7th place. If this sounds like sour grapes, that’s because it is. I’m upset and I’m complaining. I figure it’s the only thing I haven’t tried yet. At some point, my good performances and high point totals HAVE to get rewarded right?
8) The October Boys- Had a really good shot to win, wasn’t down by that much and had Madison Bumgarner and Felix Hernandez both pitching over the weekend. Sadly they both let him down and led to another tough loss. It just seems like this is one of the more talented rosters in the league but they never all just click together at the same time. It can be a deadly combo. Your roster is talented, so you don’t make changes, but you keep losing and fall further and further back. Then you look up and it’s too late.
9) Panda the Hammer- Why is this team still rostering Aaron Harang? Why is Aroldis Chapman on his bench for another closer when the Reds play a full seven game slate this week? I don’t know what’s going on with this team this year.
10) Believe The Hype- Tell me the secret Allan. I tried to use Kendall Graveman against the Love Boat Captains in week three and got -5 points. You did the exact same thing and got 50 points. This was a really great week for Allan. He lost TWO Sonny Gray starts, and still managed to pull out a win against a really good team. Is that Allan run back to contention finally starting?
Game of the Week
WillisBeTheYear vs RedRays
The two division leaders square off. Can team RedRays rebound from scoring under 200 points and knock off the league #1? I’m interested to find out.
Good luck to everyone in Week 14!