Things are really starting to get interesting in fantasy land as we reach the official halfway point of the regular season. And by interesting, I mean tight.
Have you taken a look at the standings recently? NINE teams currently sit within two games of a spot in the all important final four. It’s going to be a mad race to the finish line and I couldn’t be more excited. Well that’s not true. I could be more excited if I wasn’t 5-7, but hey, baby steps. Let’s get to some rankings shall we?
Week Twelve Power Rankings
1) WillisBeTheYear- Remember what I’ve been beating into the ground in almost every recap? That when Jose Fernandez returns and joins a rotation of Clayton Kershaw, Corey Kluber and Dallas Kuechel that we’re all done for? Well hooray for us, that wonderful time is officially here.
2) sportsmanMike- 3rd place in his division, 2nd in the power rankings? You bet. Mike’s team put up 332 points, good for the second highest total of the week and should’ve extended his winning streak to six games. Don’t let this “loss” fool you, Mike is on a mission this year. This is one of the most dangerous teams in the league.
3) RedRays- I think we can all stop waiting for Chris Archer to come back to earth now, he seems to have taken that leap into fantasy ace status. When you can team Archer with the best pitcher in baseball in Max Scherzer, you’re going to be in most games. Team RedRays has won 3 out of 4 and seems to be heating up at the right time as we enter the 2nd half of the season.
4) Yankeehaters- It always hurts to lose a game when your opponent only scores 260 points, but it wasn’t a great week for team Yankeehaters. His pitching let him down badly in his first week post Bumgarner and Wacha, but as only Dave can do, he quickly fixes the situation by pulling off a blockbuster with Rays Those Cowbells and bringing in Scott Kazmir and Stephen Strasburg. We’ll see if the new look Yankeehaters can rebound in a big game against the RedRays.
5) Love Boat Captains- I can promise you, this team would be ranked a lot higher if health would cooperate. It really sucks that Anthony Rendon has gone down again, he was just starting to get into his stride at the plate. Ginger bit the bullet and cut ties with Matt Holliday today. I can’t say I disagree with the decision. With the Cardinals running away with it, they can basically shut him down until the postseason if they wanted too. He wasn’t gonna help her team anymore this year.
6) Stogies- I’m not entirely sure if this team deserves this ranking, but as the only 6-6 team sitting in front of a collection of 5-7 squads, he has the leg on a potential run to the playoffs for now. At this point, I would be pretty much done with Hanley Ramirez. This guy misses games at a time every single week for one reason or another. I’ll say this though, this team needs to start scoring some more points, because as we know in this league, to make the playoffs you’re going to have win a few tiebreakers. And his low season point total is really going to hurt him down the stretch unless he gets it going, and soon.
7) Rays Those Cowbells- In what might be the game of the year so far, I stunned Mike with a 135 point barrage on Sunday to steal a win I desperately needed. I’m starting to like the position I’m in. Sit back and watch the teams at the top beat each other up, and then swoop in late in the season with my high point total and steal some tiebreakers. My 5-7 record might not look very sexy, but being the second highest scoring team in the league is going to pay dividends later in the season. You watch.
8) The October Boys- This team is still the biggest sleeper in the league. Look at the roster. It’s LOADED with young superstars like Nolan Arenado, Joc Pederson, Felix Hernandez, Madison Bumgarner and Michael Pineda. This team is going to go on a big run soon. I can just feel it. I’m kind of at a loss why this team is in last place in it’s division. The roster is too talented.
9) Panda the Hammer- I’m running out of things to say about this team. It stays the same every week, no trades, minimal pickups, Sam seems to be on auto-draft this year. I think it’s going to lead to a slow decent out of contention for Sam, this league is just too good and owners are too savvy to just sit back and let things take their course.
10) Believe The Hype- Allan follows a nice win last week with another awful dud this week. Things just aren’t going his way this year. Is Allan already looking forward to football?
Game of the Week
Yankeehaters vs RedRays
A big duel between 7-5 teams. Winner gets some breathing room, loser is sitting 7-6 and on the outside looking in.
Good luck to everyone in Week 13!